‘Succumbed to temptation’ Piers Morgan issues apology over phone news as he bids farewell

GMB: Adil Ray takes cheeky dig at Piers Morgan

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Former Good Morning Britain presenter Piers Morgan joked about the loss of his after he “succumbed to the temptation” of a new Apple phone. The journalist’s tweet comes as BlackBerry phones were pronounced dead from today after a Canadian company behind them has pulled their support.

Taking to Twitter this afternoon, Piers posted a throwback picture of himself smiling and holding his BlackBerry to his ear, in view of his 7.9 million followers. 

The company, which now provides security software, has stated that the iconic devices “will no longer reliably function” from today, including for calls and texts.

Piers, 56, wrote: “RIP BlackBerry. I once loved you so much that I even did commercials for you. 

“But then I succumbed to temptation, bit into a forbidden Apple, and my innocence was lost. Sorry. X”

From there, disagreement appeared to form in the comments section as various Twitter users debated whether it was appropriate to bring up the subject of phone hacking in light of 2011’s scandal, due to Piers’ post involving his old phone.

Carys wrote: “Let the phone hacking comments commence. So boring now.”

Edward Caravan hit back: “Guys it’s like so last year to discuss hacking peoples phones, like yah it was really bad and a massive invasion of privacy, and illegal, but like, get over it?”

“He never hacked anyone’s phone, that was a different newspaper,” Victor Meldrew insisted. 

“You’ve never had innocence when it comes to phones,” commented Scotty Pestell.

The 2011 News International phone-hacking scandal was a controversy involving the now-defunct News of the World and other British newspapers owned by Rupert Murdoch. 

Employees of the newspaper were accused of engaging in phone hacking, police bribery, and exercising improper influence in the pursuit of stories.

It began on the Monday of that week 2011 when Guardian reporter Nick Davies and colleague Amelia Hill revealed that the News of the World’s reporters had illegally accessed the voicemails of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler. 

Gary Burgess dead: ITV star dies in his sleep age 46 [NEWS]

Liz Hurley’s mystery man sets record straight on sultry pics [INSIGHT]

Carol Kirkwood unveils new challenge away from BBC Breakfast [UPDATE]

Soon afterwards, Rupert Murdoch concluded his 168-year-old tabloid had become politically toxic and abruptly shut the paper down, sacking almost 200 staff members. 

Piers is a former News of the World Editor, although he was not around when the controversy occurred. 

He only kept his position at the publication for one year between 1994 and 1995, as he left the post after publishing photographs of Catherine Victoria Lockwood, then-wife of Charles, Earl Spencer, leaving an addictive disorders clinic in Surrey.

His decision to publish was ruled to be against the editors’ code of conduct by the Press Complaints Commission.

The journalist took over as editor at the Daily Mirror shortly afterwards and held the position until 2004, when he was sacked following the publication of hoax photographs the newspaper claimed showed Iraqi prisoners being abused by British soldiers. 

Regardless of other controversies, however, Piers has remained adamant that he was not involved in the phone hacking scandal. 

In an interview with the Guardian in October, 2014 Piers said: “I’ve never hacked a phone nor told anybody to hack a phone.”

In a tweet on May 21, 2016 Piers wrote: “The daily ‘you hacked a dead girl’s phone’ gets rather tiresome given it was another newspaper.”

Source: Read Full Article