Tea-time snack Jhal Muri is easy to rustle up and is a healthy alternative to any store-bought snack.
Bethica Das‘s version makes use of a seasoning of grated fresh coconut and a sprinkling of bhujia too.
Jhal Muri should be eaten the instant it’s made and it doesn’t store well.
- 2½ cups muri or puffed rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 1 small potato, boiled, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp boiled black chickpeas
- 2 tbsp green coriander or dhania or cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 tbsp mixed bhujia or gram flour fritters
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Pinch salt
- ½ tsp chilly flakes
- ½ tsp jeera or cumin power (seeds dry roasted and ground)
- In a bowl mix together the onions, green chillies, coconut, tomato, potatoes, coriander leaves, black chickpeas.
- Just before serving add the puffed rice, all the dry spices, peanuts, mixed bhujia, lime juice, mustard oil.
Give it a toss and serve immediately with hot chai.
Editor’s Note: For a Jain version skip the onions and potatoes.
For a more diabetic-friendly version, go slow with the puffed rice and potatoes and use more chickpeas.
Bethica Das is a Sharjah-based food blogger.
Source: Read Full Article